Nuclear weapons are one of the biggest threats to humanity and the environment. Since the end of the Cold War, nuclear weapons have disappeared from newspapers and TV screens, but unfortunately not from the nine countries who possess them. Today the issue is back on the international agenda and nearly 130 countries have endorsed the Humanitarian Pledge for a ban on nuclear weapons. We finally have the unique opportunity to get an international treaty that outlaws this weapon of mass destruction. But how can we make it happen? And how would a ban treaty work? These and many other questions will be raised and discussed during the seminar.
The Nuclear Disarmament Youth Seminar will be held in Oslo in September and will involve young participants from Argentina, Kenya, India, Romania and Serbia, in addition to Norway.
- Thursday: The humanitarian and developmental consequences of nuclear weapons. What can we learn from other disarmament processes?
- Friday: A visit to the nuclear reactor at Kjeller: A technical perspective on nuclear weapons + practical exercise in disarmament and verification
- Saturday and Sunday: Creative workshop by Von Communications
- Dates: 22nd-25th of September 2016
- Location: Fredshuset in Oslo.
- The seminar is free of charge for all participants.
- All meals are provided
We are looking for participants who
- are interested in the issue of nuclear disarmament and wish to get involved
- enjoy teamwork
- are between 18 and 30 years old
- live in Norway
Is that you? Please send an application (maximum one page + CV) to email@example.com before 20 August 2016.